Fencing has been a family tradition in my family. When I was a young child, my older brother Manouchehr and sister Mahvash were already champions of Fencing in Asia. I could not wait to join the ranks of champions so at age five I started training and practice.
I have been involved in fencing most of my life, except for a few years when my participation in fencing was interrupted by the war between Iran and Iraq where I served my country and thereafter I immigrated to USA in 1984.
In 1989 I was delighted to be able to resume my passion and interest in fencing, and I have not stopped since. I owe much gratitude to many good professionals who helped foster this passion in me and have always encouraged me to continue with my passion. Ms. Mahvash Shafaie, Mr. M. Shafaie, Mr. A. Pashapour and E. Pashapour, and many others who all played in Olympics in 1972 ,1976 and Asian Olympics were an inspiration and help to me. Just as I was helped It is my goal and desire to be able to help other young people succeed in this age old noble by other people it is my goal and desire to be able to help other young people engage and succeed in this sport by being a coach to them and seeing the tradition continue and live forever.
Other Personal Information
Mo has been residing in USA since 1985 and lives in Freehold with his wife and two young children who are also carrying the family tradition of fencing.
- 1989-1992- Co founded and Led New Jersey Institute of Technology Fencers under direction of Coach Lynch and Coach LaTorre.
- 1981- Third place in the Iranian Junior National championship.
- 1978-1980- Ranked amongst the top five junior fencers in Iran.
- 1989-1992-Captain of the New Jersey Institute of Technology’s Fencing Team.
- 1990-Winner of 2nd place in MACFA (Middle Atlantic Conference Fencing Association).
- 1990-1991- Fencing team MVP and competed in the NCAA east Coast.
- 1992- Most Valuable Player in IAC (independent Athletic Conference).
- 1989-Present: Winner of 150 career victories, two NCAA post season competitions and MVP awards.
- 2006 to Present: Biotechnology High School, Freehold, NJ – Mathematics and Physics Teacher.
- 1992 to 2005 – Brookdale Community College, Lincroft, NJ – Instructor of Engineering & Mathematics
- 1989-1992 – Leon S. Avakian, Inc. – Assistant to Surveyor and Civil Engineer
- 1979-1982 – Iranian Fencing Club, Tehran, Iran – Fencing Assistant Coach and Member of a Junior National Team.
- Master of Arts in Pure Mathematics, 2000. Georgian Court College, Lakewood, NJ.
- Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering 1992. New Jersey Institute of Technology, Newark, NJ.
- Associate of Science in Mathematics, Physics, and Civil Engineering, 1988. Brookdale College, Lincroft, NJ.